Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Ergonomics for Knitters

Bag available here

I had some success knitting yesterday. It took three different projects before I figured out what I could knit. After using my heat pack and stretching I started experimenting.

1) I had started a swatch before my wrist sprain and had decided the gauge was too tight. I ripped it out and started again a needle size up. I was really struggling with the movement and my first thought was "uhoh" my gauge may be really messed up on this swatch. Then I remembered when I teach absolute beginners it's often easier if I start by casting on and knitting a few rows for them so they have existing stitches to work from. 

2) I got out a vest which I had put aside recently. I had about four inches of knitting completed. Humm, this was definitely easier. I wasn't feeling awkward, I knit for about 20 minutes and then took a rest. There wasn't any pain but the yarns in that project are sturdy wools, some in that crispy category.

3) While I was resting, I remembered I had another project in which I was working with very soft yarns with a loose gauge on straight needles. Number 1 and 2 are both on circulars. Eureka! I did two more 20 minute sessions of knitting. I don't want to overdo it. 

4) Lessons learned, maybe multiple UFOs aren't as bad as I think they are!  OK, I do have too many but that's a different post topic. Other lessons, try changing the needle style, use softer yarns and looser gauges for easier on the hands and wrists knitting.

Next time I'm going to do a roundup post on various sources of info on knitting ergonomics.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment