Friday, August 26, 2016

An Interview with...Svetlana Volkova

 
Once a week I post interviews with interesting people about their insights on their experience of working in the Knitting industry.  I’ve noticed that every one of these individuals makes their living in a slightly different manner bringing their own unique presence to the knitting world.
You can find Svetlana here on Ravelry.
 
Update: a reader notified me that the index link to Svetlana Volkova's interview was broken. It looks like it got moved back into the draft file some time ago since it had a low page view number. Many of my readers may not have seen it so I'm reposting it at this time.
 
 


http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/anemone-20

Where do you find inspiration?
It’s everywhere! In the woods where I live, in trips to different countries, on the Internet, etc …but 2 main sources for me are yarn and people.

What is your favourite knitting technique?
I love inventing new seamless techniques and new stitches.

How did you determine your size range?
I always try to make wide range of sizes, however it often depends on the pattern. When it is simple stockinette it is easier to make wide range, but if I use lace pattern and don’t want to break the lace pattern, I have to consider it. 


http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/jango-mitts


Do you look at other designers’ work or are you afraid that you will be influenced by their designs?
I used to look at other designers work a lot and I’ve learned many things this way, unfortunately now when my family has grown I have less time for this. I’m not afraid to be influenced, I have my own style.

How do you feel about the so called controversy of “dumbing down” patterns for knitters?
I prefer intuitive patterns with just enough explanations. 



http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/origami-leaves

How many sample/test knitters do you have working for you or do you do it all yourself?
I don't have sample knitters, as I never know how my new design will turn out and I make changes during knitting. But I always use test knitters to see the design in different sizes and on different body types.

Did you do a formal business plan? Well, I’m very good in making business plans, I have degree in economics. However due to my character it is very flexible. 


http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/red-katana


Do you have a mentor?
Not yet, but always wanted to have one, so feel free to contact me!

How are you using social media to grow your business?
I use advertising and take part in different knitting events.

Do you use a tech editor?
Sometimes, yes. 



http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/star-anise-2


How do you maintain your life/work balance?
It is hard, especially when you have a baby. Usually I try to alternate knitting and writing with some activities out-of-doors, fresh air and sport gives me more energy. Also I’ve got helping husband who takes our little ̶b̶e̶a̶s̶t̶ angel out for few hours on evenings, so I can work.

How do you deal with criticism?
I must say I’m very sensitive person and it was especially difficult in the beginning, I could dwell on one letter for a day! But now I don't take it as a criticism, but as helpful suggestions. 



http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/jango


How long did it take for you to be able to support yourself?
I cannot say, my needs tend to grow LOL. But I’ve started to receive stable income approximately after 2 years.

What advice would you give someone who wants to pursue a career in knitting?
Be active, creative! Learn! See what others do, what people like to knit and try to find you own way.


http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/bloomsbury-kids

No comments:

Post a Comment