Friday, September 18, 2015

An Interview with...Tammy Eigeman Thompson




http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/sa-06-sampler-aran-afghan


Once a week I post interviews with interesting people about their insights on their experience of working in the Knitting industry.  I’ve noticed that every one of these individuals makes their living in a slightly different manner bringing their own unique presence to the knitting world.

You can find Tammy here and here on Ravelry.


Where do you find inspiration?

From my surroundings, I live in Montana near Glacier National Park.  I am surrounded by beauty; it is hard not to be inspired.  I also draw inspiration from clothing from the 1700 and 1800 hundreds

What is your favorite knitting technique?

I think my favorite technique would have to be steeking.  If I can steek something and continue to work in the round I’ll do it, I love working in the round.

How did you determine your size range?

Size range usually depends on the style of the garment as well as the motif that I use in the sweater.

Do you look at other designers’ work or are you afraid that you will be influenced by their designs?

I look at everything.  I watch runway fashion shows on You Tube to see what trends are current.  Are fashion styles going long or short, loose or tight fitting? I don’t think that their designs influence what I am doing, rather, they give me an idea what way fashion is going, what colors are popular, etc.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/cs-05-thistle-christmas-stocking


How do you feel about the so called controversy of “dumbing down” patterns for knitters?

Knitters are all at different skill levels, but if we over simplify a pattern, it just becomes confusing.  I believe the best thing for a new knitter to invest in would be the Readers Digest, Knitter’s Handbook, or the Vogue Knitting hand book all excellent resources. 

How many sample/test knitters do you have working for you or do you do it all yourself?

I do everything myself.  When I start a new project I start with needles, yarn and a notebook.  The idea usually goes through many changes and modifications before it becomes a finished project. It would be very difficult for me to employ a sample knitter for this reason.  It is really the process of design, and seeing it manifested that I enjoy the most.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/lg-96-solus-sweater


Do you have a mentor?

Not really, I have many people that I admire in the field but no real mentor.

Do you use a tech editor?
Yes.

How do you maintain your life/work balance?

Knitting is my life and I do little else.  My day starts at 4:00 am in the morning when I take care of computer work.  At 5:00 am I go to the gym for about an hour.  I come home and walk for an hour to get the ideas flowing.  The rest of the day is taken up with knitting and running my yarn store. I enjoy my day that way.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/bitteroot-tam-and-mittens


How do you deal with criticism?

Constructive criticism can be beneficial and I will take it into consideration. If I think a change needs to be made I will make it.  As for mean spirited criticism, I ignore it; it is not worth my consideration.

What advice would you give someone who wants to pursue a career in knitting?

Perseverance, you have to have a real love of your craft or it is not going to work for you. 

What’s next for you?

I am looking to do a children’s collection of knitwear. 

Also, I will continue to do the square of the month a knit along that is on my website and Ravelry.  I give a free pattern of a different cable square away every month for twelve months.  At the end of the year the knitter has enough squares to create a throw.  I do take the patterns down after that time frame and sell all the squares in their entirety as a sampler afghan.

Right now I am very inspired with Fair Isle and color stranding, so look for more pattern in that style.  Cable designs will not be left out.  I am also working on cable sweater designs.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/nuada-sweater

No comments:

Post a Comment