Wednesday, March 5, 2014

How to Knit a Pair of Boots

http://makezine.com/projects/knitted-boots/


I've been posting what I call quirky knitting projects on my blog since 2010. I'm fascinated by the technical challenges these projects present the knitter and I'm convinced this group of knitters think in a more sculptural fashion than those of us who make garments based on flat pattern drafting designs. I'm not generally interested in spending time on these projects but I keep looking at the boots in the photo. I'm due to clean out my shoe collection soon and if I find an appropriate base I'm tempted to give this project a try. The instructions can be found here

I had trouble finding a Ravelry page for this version, however I ended up searching by the designers name and found this. It's a slightly different version and links to an unfortunately broken link.

If you'd like to see more quirky knitting projects go here to my index and go down the page to: Quirky Knitting. At the top of the page I also have a category for Art (knitting as art) which you might find interesting.

4 comments:

  1. Lily chin has a pattern for knitted shoes in one of her books http://www.amazon.com/Urban-Knitter-Lily-M-Chin/dp/0425183289/ref=la_B001IXMTKC_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1394026110&sr=1-7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK thanks, I just looked at them on Ravelry.

      Delete
  2. I love stuff like this! I recently made slippers for my husband that probably qualify as "quirky."
    Re: boots, Teva Durham has a cute pattern in her Loop-d-Loop crochet book. Unfortunately a) it's technically crochet, not knitting, and b) no good photo online, but basically they remind me of Ugs http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/brocade-boots

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darn, even the two projects didn't add in photos. I'll see if I can find a copy of the book. I can do really simple crochet.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete